We were the first ones into the classroom this morning. The boy was still all smiles, quickly finding his name tag on his desk. He went through his school supplies box and was happy to see a pencil, crayons, and scissors. As the time when by, however, and more kids began to arrive, Dad and I noticed the huge smile on Isiah's face slowly fade. He appeared to zone out as he watched the children and parents pile into the classroom. At first it just seemed like he was being his father's son, stepping back to take it all in before joining the crowd. But Dad and I soon realized something was wrong. As soon as we called him over, he buried his head in his Daddy's shoulder and began to tear. It was all so overwhelming and the familiar routine of his previous 'school' experience was no longer. Following a brief moment to breathe on the bench outside, we took him back in. He walked to the carpet to take a seat with the rest of his classmates, but upon sitting down amongst kids he didn't know in a room filled with color and stimuli, he turned to look at us at the door and quickly covered his face as he broke down in apprehension and the feeling of being alone, I'm assuming. Yes, our little one is an emotional being. I couldn't leave him like that, so I called him over for a big hug. Luckily, he willing went with his new teacher when she took him under her wing and offered to have him sit near her. Don had to tell me to just leave him be and to 'cut the chord' as he seemed to have calmed down and would be okay.
Don and I thought of him all day. And we were happy to hear his report that he had a great day! Needless to say, he was a hungry boy when he got home. And, was pooped from his first day of Kindergarten. He was out as soon as his head hit the pillow...in his new "jamaiahs" (pajamas)

Growing up too fast!! Glad to hear you had a good day Isiah, pawpaw and I are sooo proud of you. Love you, Grammy
ReplyDelete